We were seeing an exception in the Event Log as shown below but this did not reveal anything significant. This issue was not caused by plugins since we only had the system plugins in the environment.
Running a trace using the diagnostics tool while reproducing the issue similarly did not produce anything particularly useful.
So we turned to Microsoft Support to help us with troubleshooting this issue. After a lot of back and forth and having them escalate the issue to their dev team, the issue was finally nailed down to something quite simple. There were some attribute maps on the contact to opportunity mapping (1:N) that seemed to be causing the problem. In our case, the following 2 were identified:
Therefore the resolution was to follow the steps outlined below
- Go into Settings -> Customizations -> Customize the System
- Under entities, select the Contact entity
- Go into 1:N relationships
- Open the Contact to Contributions relationship for type of Parental relationship
- Open mappings
- Delete the 2 accountiddsc and accountidname mappings
- Save and close
- Publish all customizations