As I mentioned in my opening post on this topic, keeping the CRM deployment "relevant" is axiomatic. And therefore making entities that are not relevant/used in a deployment "disappear" through the use of permission settings should always be done. I am not discussing that aspect in this post.
Rather I am referring to Site Map changes to eliminate some of the CRM areas.
Let me back up a little. Having the different navigation areas can be helpful, however as alluded to above, some clients might find the additional navigation "daunting". And this can of course be locked down by eliminating the other applications area by performing some simple manipulation of the Site Map. And users can subsequently access other areas of the application by configuing via the Options what areas they wish to appear in the Workplace. And the result is a simplified navigation that will look something like what's shown below.
Given that the Settings area has also disappeared (there's really no need to expose this area to the lay user), you might ask how we can navigate to that area of the application when administration or customization needs to be performed on the system - as changes to the Site Map or global in nature.
The answer to the above is to bookmark the other areas of the application so you can navigate directly to them. Here are some of these bookmarks:
- Administration: http://<server>/<org>/tools/Admin/admin.aspx
- Business Management: http://<server>/<org>/tools/business/business.aspx
- Customization: http://<server>/<org>/tools/systemcustomization/systemcustomization.aspx
- Data Management: http://<server>/<org>/tools/DataManagement/datamanagement.aspx
- Document Management: http://<server>/<org>/tools/documentmanagement/documentmanagement.aspx
- Product Catalog: http://<server>/<org>/tools/productcatalog/productcatalog.aspx
- System Jobs: http://<server>/<org>/tools/business/home_asyncoperation.aspx
- Templates: http://<server>/<org>/tools/templates/templates.aspx
- Audit: http://<server>/<org>/tools/audit/audit_area.aspx
- Reports: http://<server>/<org>/main.aspx?etn=report&extraqs=&pagetype=entitylist